Grace Kingston attended our 1 on 1 WordPress Training. She wanted to get the most out of the WordPress theme and learn how to change the layout of some of the pages. Her WordPress theme was a tricky one but we managed to sort it out in 2 hours of one on one training. Grace did come from a digital background so was already familiar with WordPress so learnt very quickly.
Grace Kingston’s Website
What we did in the training
- We taught Grace how to use the page builder – WP Bakery that came with her theme when she bought it.
- WordPress page builders allow you to change the layouts of the page to be more creative.
- The standard editor only allows you to add text and images from top to bottom with no columns or special layouts.
- Grace learnt how to change the global fonts, colours and sizes.
- And how to navigate around the theme options panel.
- We also re-arranged all the blog layouts to be more consistent.
- And sorted out her blog categories as they were a little unorganised.
- We also changed some of the background colours of her pages from dark to white.
- Making her website colours more consistent.
- Grace even learnt a little CSS coding to style some of the fonts that we couldn’t change under the theme options.
- Sometimes with WordPress, the theme doesnt allow you to change what you need to.
- This is when CSS comes into play!
- We are more than happy to do some CSS coding for the client in the training if required.
- The navigation menu also needed to be more user-friendly.
- So we added and removed some menu items allowing stories to be found better by her readers!
- Grace also wanted to know how to update her site ongoing, so we showed her how to back up the site.
- And keep WordPress, the theme and the plugins all safely up to date.
Check out Grace Kingston’s website – http://gracekingston.com/
Written by Jodi Allbon 2018
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View her credentials here.