Sitemaps are not only important for Google but they are important for your visitor. Have you ever gone to a website and can’t find the page you were looking for? This is when a sitemap proves useful. The user can click on the sitemap and find a list of all the pages in your site and click on the page they need.
A link to the Sitemap is usually found in the footer of a website. All important pages should be in the footer, for easy access.
What are Sitemaps?
In technical terms a Sitemap is a link map of all the pages in your site. In layman’s terms a Sitemap is a page that lists all your pages of your website, that the user can click on to go to that page. A Sitemap helps make your website more user friendly, which is what Google and other search engines wants.
Learn how to create a Sitemap
At Let’s Build a Website, we can teach you how to create a Sitemap in our SEO consulting course. If you are interested in SEO or creating a Sitemap for your website – click here to learn more about our SEO Training & Consulting.
Here are some quick and easy steps to create a XML Sitemap below:
- Go to a FREE online Sitemap creator – e.g. https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/
- Create your Sitemap and add it to your server in the main (root) folder
- Notify Google and Bing about the new Sitemap
In Google Webmaster Tools:
- Go to the Crawl section
- Click the Add/Test Sitemap
- Add the Sitemap URL
- Click Submit Sitemap
In Bing Webmaster Tools:
- Click “sitemaps” in the “configure my sitemap” and add your Sitemap
Create a User friendly Sitemap
- Having an XML Sitemap is great for the Search Engines but its not very user friendly
- So I would create a HTML version on your Sitemap as well for your visitors
- You can manually create a HTML Sitemap if you dont have a lot of pages
- Just type the name of each page – in a new page called “Sitemap”
- And link each page to itself
- Then add a link to this Sitemap in the footer area of your site
- Otherwise you could search for a free online tool to help you create a HTML Sitemap for your visitors
What Matt Cutt’s (Expert Google Guru) to see what he says about Sitemaps
If you have WordPress, then creating a Sitemap for your website will be easy. You can just install a plugin to so this. There are a few plugins that will do the trick.
An easy sitemap plugin that adds both an xml and an html sitemap to your site, which updates and maintains themselves so you don’t have to!
This plugin creates an XML Sitemap, that you can submit to Google and Bing.
This plugin create a HTML Sitemap.
Concluding – Why you should Create a Sitemap
Every website should have both an XML and a HTML Sitemap. XML for Google, Bing and other Search Engines. And a HTML Sitemap is better and more user friendly for the visitor.
There are a few simple ways to create a Sitemap as discussed above. Good luck and contact us if you need any help with creating a Sitemap for your website.