Cathy from What Cathy Made came and did our 1 on 1 WordPress Training for 2 hours. Cathy had the site already set up in WordPress.com. She wanted to move it to WordPress.org to take advantage of all the plugins and over 5000 free themes and unlimited paid themes that you can use. As well as the 55,000 free plugins that allow you to add anything to your site. What Cathy Made is a colourful business so we wanted to reflect this in the design of her website with colour and design. We used the Divi theme for its flexibility in layout. Click here to view – Divi by Elegant Themes.
Check out the – What Cathy Made Website
What we covered in the training
- Exported her content from WordPress.com.
- Imported the content into her WordPress.org website.
- She already had bought hosting from Digital Pacific.
- Installed the Divi theme.
- Built the unique homepage layout based on Cathy’s ideas.
- Added SEO title tags and descriptions for all pages.
- Applied SEO to her images so people could find her images in Google.
- Connected Social Media to the site – Facebook, Instagram
- Create a blog and showed her how to use it.
- Cathy is an avid blogger and this is how she gets all her visitors to her site.
- We added a blog section to the home page so visitors to find it easily.
- Then added a newsletter signup which connected to Cathys MailChimp account.
- MailChimp is perfect for small business. It’s free up until a certain point and uses a drag and drop interface.
- We did some fine tuning of the page layouts with the Divi builder.
- Added a contact form.
- Lastly – changed the domain name to point to the new website on WordPress.org.
Cathy already had a shop set up with another third party eCommerce site, so we just linked it to this site.
The site looks lovely.
Check out the website – whatcathymade.com.au