Saltbush Collective needed to set up a website for a community-based project, so attended our Build a WordPress Website course. The client – a Manly local wanted to give back to the community by providing a variety of workshops for people from all types of demographics could participate it.
What we covered in the training
- Installed and set up WordPress.
- Installed Divi. A premium WordPress theme.
- DIVI comes with the course for FREE.
- The client had a few design ideas to choose from.
- So we used these websites as a guide.
In the first session, we set up:
- Generic pages like; home, about, contact and blog.
- Added a contact form.
- An image slider on the homepage and added images on the other pages.
- We optimised the images using reduceimages.com.
- To ensure the website loaded quickly, as big images will slow down a site.
- We created a shop for the workshops using the Woocommerce plugin.
- And set up a payment system with PayPal.
- Then added some “must have” plugins including;
- Security – to keep the site safe from hackers.
- Anti-spam – to stop spam comments in the site.
- Social Media – Facebook and Instagram.
In the second session we completed the following;
- Added a Pinterest and Instagram feed in the footer.
- Set up an events plugin which integrated with the Woocommerce shop.
- This would allow customers to book and purchase an event from the website without leaving the website.
- The client learnt how to add workshops /events so this could be done ongoing.
- We set up numerous events with dates, times and detailed information.
- Then added a newsletter signup for the home page, which connected to Mailchimp.
- A Blog was created to bring in more visitors, and the client learnt how to add and manage posts.
- Lastly, we added some Search Engine Optimisation to the home page.
Check out Salt Bush Collective’s website.
Click the link for more information about this Build a WordPress Website course.
Written by Jodi Allbon 2017