Saltbush Collective needed to set up a website for a community-based project, so attended our Build a WordPress Website course. The client – a Manly local wanted to give back to the community by providing a variety of workshops for people from all types of demographics could participate it.
What we covered in the training
- Installed and set up WordPress.
- Installed Divi. A premium WordPress theme.
- DIVI comes with the course for FREE.
- The client had a few design ideas to choose from.
- So we used these websites as a guide.
In the first session, we set up:
- Generic pages like; home, about, contact and blog.
- Added a contact form.
- An image slider on the homepage and added images on the other pages.
- We optimised the images using reduceimages.com.
- To ensure the website loaded quickly, as big images will slow down a site.
- We created a shop for the workshops using the Woocommerce plugin.
- And set up a payment system with PayPal.
- Then added some “must have” plugins including;
- Security – to keep the site safe from hackers.
- Anti-spam – to stop spam comments in the site.
- Social Media – Facebook and Instagram.
In the second session we completed the following;
- Added a Pinterest and Instagram feed in the footer.
- Set up an events plugin which integrated with the Woocommerce shop.
- This would allow customers to book and purchase an event from the website without leaving the website.
- The client learnt how to add workshops /events so this could be done ongoing.
- We set up numerous events with dates, times and detailed information.
- Then added a newsletter signup for the home page, which connected to Mailchimp.
- A Blog was created to bring in more visitors, and the client learnt how to add and manage posts.
- Lastly, we added some Search Engine Optimisation to the home page.
Check out Salt Bush Collective’s website.
Click the link for more information about this Build a WordPress Website course.
Written by Jodi Allbon 2017
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View her credentials here.