Why should you update WordPress you ask? Here are the main reasons why you should update WordPress:
- To keep your WordPress website safe from hackers
- The WordPress developers take security very seriously, so every time they do an update of WordPress, they keep tweaking areas in the core files that may be vulnerable
- They fix any bugs in the software i.e. things that don’t work properly or need adjusting
- They strive to improve the features of WordPress to make your life easier!!
How often should you update WordPress?
- Preferably as soon as a new version comes out
How will I know when?
- If you log into your WordPress admin you will see a notification at top of the screen see e.g. below:WordPress 3.8.1 is available! Please update now
Should I backup WordPress first?
- ALWAYS BACKUP WORDPRESS FIRST
- NEVER update without backing up WordPress – see our tutorials below on how to backup WordPress
- Ensure you backup both the files and the database of your WordPress website
- To backup the files – click here to Back with FTP
- The backup the database – click here to backup via WordPress Database Plugin or CPanel Backup
How to update WordPress?
- After you have backed up the WordPress files and database, the easiest way to update WordPress is to simply click on Please update now link located at the top of your WordPress admin.
- You will be taken to another page > Click on Update Now – see image below
- Wait for WordPress to update
- Go and check your website and make sure everything is still the same
- Check all the plugins and widgets are still working
- If plugins are broken it may be because the plugin has been updated to be compatible with the new version of WordPress
- In this case you will have to search for an alternative plugin
What about updating WordPress Plugins & Themes?
The same process applies. Always do a quick backup of your files and database. It shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes of your time.
By Jodi Allbon
Original content 2013