Backup your database using CPanel.
Follow these simple steps to backup with CPanel. Backing up your database with CPanel is simple and quick. Most web hosting companies now use CPanel and offer it in their web hosting packages.
If your purchasing hosting – get CPanel, as it will make managing your website easier!
CPanel is an added feature provided by your hosting company that gives the options to have more control over the backend of your website. CPanel gives you access to many other functions that normally you would have to ask your web hosting to perform for you! Therefore CPanel is providing you more access and control over the backend of your website!
- Login to your hosting’s control panel – CPanel
- Your login details can be found in the welcome email from your Hosting Company when you first purchased your hosting
- CPanel looks like the following image:
- Scroll down to the Files section
- You will see > Backup Wizard
You can create a full backup of your database including all the files in your home directory, MySQL databases and email forwarders and filters.
Use this option to make a full backup of your website.
How to backup with cpanel with the Backup Wizard
- Click on Backup Wizard
- Go to Backup/Restore
- Select Backup
- Select Full Backup
- Go to > Backup Destination: leave Home Directory selected
- Go to > Email Address: > Add your email
- Click on Generate Backup
- Click on > Go Back
- You will now see a file with tar.gz extension listed in the Backup Wizard under Backups Available for Download:
- This is a backup of your database
- If you every needed to restore your database then you click on the Restore option instead of the Backup option and following the instructions – see image below
Original content written by Jodi Allbon 2013
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View her credentials here.