A WordPress backup plugin is a great way to back up your database via the WordPress admin panel. It’s a simple process to set up and the perfect solution if you don’t have CPanel on your web hosting account.
There are many WordPress backup plugins, but I found a simple one that is very user friendly and does the job! All you need to do is search for the WordPress backup plugin in the plugin section of your WordPress admin, install it, add your email to set it up and your done!
Let’s install the WordPress backup plugin
- Login to your WordPress Admin
- Go to Plugins
- Click Add New
- Copy and paste the following into the Search field
- Locate the plugin – it should come up first
- Click on Install Now
- Once installed make sure you activate it
- Go to Tools
- Click on Backup
- Optional – select any tables, in addition to the core WordPress tables that you want to backup
- Go to Backup Options
- Select > Email backup to:
- Type in your email address
- Go to Scheduled Backup
- Select Once Weekly
- Click on the Schedule now
- You can make a backup at any time
- It’s recommended to ALWAYS backup before and after any major change to your WordPress website – including updating the version of WordPress and changing WordPress themes
- Even with some plugins that haven’t been tested before with your version of WordPress, it is always are good idea to make a quick backup just to be on the safe side!
WordPress backup plugin – scheduled backup image
Original content written by Jodi Allbon 2013
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View Jodi’s credentials here.