What is WordPress you ask? WordPress has many advantages over other web software including;
- WordPress is FREE software
- You can make a website or a blog with WordPress
- You create a professional website with endless functionality through WordPress plugins
- WordPress has great shopping cart addons (plugins)
- WordPress is a Content Management System – CMS – meaning you can update it from anywhere with an Internet connection
- WordPress is scalable – can grow with your business!
- WordPress is user friendly – you don’t need any web knowledge!
- WordPress is fun to use – it should be fun to set up a website!
- You don’t need to be a web designer to use WordPress – SAVING you loads of money!
- WordPress has a simple content management system that allows you to log into your website to update and manage your content
What makes WordPress so special?
Google loves WordPress
- WordPress is Google friendly!
93% of Australians use Google!
- WordPress is great for SEO – Search Engine Optimisation. Search Engine Optimisation means; making your website readable to the search engines
WordPress has in built areas that allow the website owner to add the essential elements of SEO easily and effectively
- WordPress also has many brilliant SEO plugins that makes it super easy for the website owner to add SEO to their site
This will SAVE the website owner MONEY as they don’t need to pay an expensive SEO company to do it!
- WordPress has thousands of FREE plugins. Plugins simply means functionality. You can add anything to a WordPress website; such as shopping cart, booking system, event planners, members login. The possibilities are endless!
- WordPress has thousands of FREE themes; offering the website owner versatility in the look and feel of their website at a click of a button!
Not an expensive bill from the web developer!
- Plugins and themes can transform your website into a rich-media experience; by adding interactive elements that appeal to your visitors
What is WordPress to the world?
- WordPress is becoming the most popular FREE website software available in the world!
- It’s easy to install
- The software is FREE and will be free forever
- The WordPress admin is user friendly
- The WordPress plugins and themes give the website owner the ability to change the look and feel of their website whenever they need too
- To update your content all you need to do is log into your WordPress admin panel; update and click a button to publish live!
What is WordPress to the Search Engines?
WordPress can really give your website a boost to get you the search results you want! Here are some reasons why WordPress can help you get your website ranked well with the search engines.
- You can add posts in WordPress; in other words you can write lots articles about the topics in your website
- This is seen by the search engines as fresh content!
- Search engines love fresh content; because it shows your website is active and busy being updated regularly!
- Writing good articles/posts and giving away free advice and stories is the best way to attract potential visitors to your website
- Your posts don’t have to be very long; about 300-500 words
- Your posts should reflect the content of your website
- Posts can be funny, informative, romantic, political or about anything related to the content of your website
- WordPress has areas in the admin section that allows you to easily add all your keywords
- WordPress has lots of amazing FREE search engine plugins; that can guide you to optimise your website properly
for the search engines
- If you want to make a successful online business and rank well with Google; WordPress can help you on your way!
WordPress was first released on May 27, 2003, by Matt Mullenweg.
Check out how many people all around the world are using WordPress – WordPress Stats
Original content written by Jodi Allbon 2013
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View Jodi’s credentials here.