Ally from WFAANZ needed a completely new website built in WordPress. As the current website was built in Adobe Catalyst, which was being made redundant. So we had to build a completely new site in a short amount of time. The site needed a members directory for their window tinters. Most importantly, the website needed to look modern and look good on a mobile phone. As the current site did not.
Ally did our 1 on 1 Build a WordPress Website course over 3 days. Each session was 3 hours.
This is the new WFAANZ website
This was the old site
Day 1 – training
The first thing we did was set the site up on Quadra Hosting. We use these guys all the time, so know they are a reliable hosting company. With great support!
- Next, we installed Divi.
- We use Divi a lot because it’s easy to use page builder.
- A page builder allows you to add any type of layout to the page.
- Including sliders, images, text boxes, buttons and more.
- We had quite a lot of work to do.
- Including creating page layouts for all the pages.
- The best feature of the Divi theme is you can copy page layouts.
- So this made it a bit less time-consuming.
Day 2 – training
- The first thing we did was research a plugin for the window tinters members directory.
- We found one called the Sabai Directory plugin.
- Click here to view. This was a paid plugin and as you can see it’s not that expensive.
- And its a great little plugin for displaying members details.
- So it took the entire 3 hours to set this up.
- As we had to import all the members from the old site to the new site.
- We did this by mapping the old CSV file to the CSV file in the directory.
Day 3 – training
- We finalised all the page layouts.
- And also installed a members login.
- So the members (tinters) could log in to view documents and videos.
- Next, we completed the footer.
- Added some widgets for Social Media and links.
- And added a contact form.
- Lastly, we made the site live.
Ally is confident to keep adding content to the site and managing the member’s directory.
Click to view the site – https://www.wfaanz.org.au/
Written by Jodi Allbon 2019.
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View her credentials here.