Today I taught Terry from TM Distribution – the owner of the business. We did a redesign of his current WordPress website using the Divi theme.
Terry already had a design idea in mind, based on a few websites he had researched online.
Terry already had his logo and all the content remained the same, except the home page layout.
We recreated the site in a test folder and built over 2 sessions – using the Build a WordPress Website course.
What we covered in the course
- Set up the website on new hosting (quadrahosting.com.au).
- Terry’s current site was not affected whilst we were doing the redesign.
- Installed & configured WordPress.
- Installed the Divi theme, which we give you for free.
- Imported the database from the old site to the new site, so all the same content was in the new site.
- including all his products and shipping.
In the first session (5 hours) we did the following:
- Set up the layout for all the generic pages including icons and headings.
(Terry is still to update the icons to more relevant icons for his business).
- Terry wanted the left menu to pop out to the right.
- We bought a plugin to get the mega menu navigation. See image below.
- Installed and set up the mega menu plugin including styling it – colour, font, size.
- Then we set up a newsletters feature for Mailchimp.
- Setting up the MailChimp account.
(Terry can then send out campaigns for product sales and specials).
- Installed and set up the plugin to connect it to MailChimp.
In the second session (4 hours) we did the following:
Terry wanted a more complex feature set up for his customers, so his customers could log in to get their own special wholesale price.
- Buying a special plugin for the login feature.
- Installing and setting up the plugin.
- Finally, we fine-tuned the site and there are still a few things to finish but Terry wanted to go live to get rid of the old site.
The site looks more professional and is mobile-friendly now. Terry is in the process of taking new photos for all his products, to make it look even better.
We can’t wait to see this. Check out the website – www.tmdistribution.com.au
If you want to build your own website check out our – Build a WordPress Website Course
Written by Jodi Allbon 2017
Click here to view – Divi by Elegant Themes.
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View her credentials here.