Here are a few SEO tips from my experience of being a web designing now for over 10 years. I know these tips work, because I have done this for my website and others.
What Is SEO or Search Engine Optimisation?
SEO stands for search engine optimisation. SEO includes lots of different elements.
I have been learning about SEO for the last 6 years or so and have learnt that SEO is always changing.
SEO is a constant learning curve; one that you need to stay on top of to be able to give advice on.
Here are some of the main SEO elements that you can apply to your website.
Some Essential SEO Principles
- Write great unique content
- Never copy content
- Write eye catching headlines
- Add the meta title and description for each page (make it unique for each page)
- Add some links with keywords connecting relevant pages
- Have a blog on your website
- Post regularly
- Add your website profile to high profile directories only
- Use Social Media to promote awareness and drive traffic to your website
These are just some of the many things you can do to your website for it to become search engine friendly.
Most importantly your website needs to be written and structurally well presented for your visitors and NOT just the search engines.
Watch this great video by Search Engine Land, which sums SEO in a nut shell.
How long does it take to get on the first page in Google?
SEO is a work in progress and getting on the first page in Google is NOT going to happen overnight.
You need to be prepared to put in the effort to reap the rewards with SEO.
Google tends to rank sites fairly quickly these days but getting on the first page may take a bit longer.
This depends on how much effort you put into your website and the content. Remember Google ranks per page NOT per website!
Some more SEO tips
- Post regularly – at least once a week
- Write for your user NOT for the search engines
- Write at least 400-500 words per page
- Research the keywords you want to get found for
- Add these keywords to each article
- Only add one keyword phrase per page
- Scatter the keywords throughout the article
- Your article MUST make sense to read
- DON’T just add keywords for the sake of it!
- Make your website user friendly
- Easy navigation
- Make sure your articles can be easily found in your menu
- The most important information visible to the user as soon as they land on a page
- Give great value and service to ensure your visitors are happy and will return and recommend you!
There are many things to do to create a great website!
My belief is, if you create your website for your visitors and include the SEO tips from above, give great value and service then this will attract the right visitors who will want to come back and will recommend your website to others!
Be a genuine business and this will set you above the rest.
We offer a 1 day SEO course – Click here for more info about our SEO Training
Written by Jodi Allbon 2014
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View Jodi’s credentials here.