Oceanzedge is a website that offers a Luxurious Holiday House at Gerroa on NSW South Coast.
We had 2 sessions of 3 hours and a follow-up 60-minute session online. Kerry learnt the basics of WordPress and how to manage and update her site. Including updating her booking calendar.
The goal of redesigning the website was to make it more modern, mobile-friendly and allow Kerry to manage herself without needing to code. WordPress is perfect for this, as it is a content management system.
What we covered in the training
- We set up the new site on Kerry’s hosting in a new folder.
- So her current website would still be up and running while we built the site.
- We installed WordPress from scratch.
- We used the Divi theme by Elegant Themes.
- We gave Divi to Kerry for FREE with her training.
What we did together in the training;
- We created a new customised homepage layout.
- We used the Divi builder to do this.
- Divi builder is a page builder that allows you to build any type of layout.
- We added her logo.
- Social Media.
- A Google map.
- Contact form and contact details.
- Kerry had her own images that she took from her camera.
- We had to reduce the file size to make the images load quickly.
- Having a fast website is crucial to rank well in Google.
- We did this with reduceimages.com.
- A free online image editing tool.
- We created a gallery to show off her beautiful luxury accommodation.
We added some “must have” plugins including;
- Backup – to keep the site safely backed up.
- Anti-spam – to ensure no bad comments.
- We also added a special plugin so Kerry could add her bookings, to show people when her property was available.
Check out Oceanzedge’s website.
Written by Jodi Allbon 2018
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View Jodi’s credentials here.