Kim from ICJ Australia came to us for some 1 on 1 WordPress training to redesign their old website. The old site was built in HTML code which meant no-one at their office could edit the site. So rebuilding it in WordPress was a great solution! So anyone from the office could edit or add to the site at any time. Without a lot of effort! We rebuilt the website within a few sessions.
The site needed to be conservative to suit the nature of their business. Yet be easy for visitors to navigate and find content.
This is the new ICJ Australia website
What we did in the training
The first thing we did was change hosting
- The hosting they currently had was too slow and not very helpful!
- So we moved to Quadra hosting in Australia.
Next, we installed WordPress
- Then uploaded a theme called Divi
- Divi is great for its endless editing capabilities and layouts
- We configured the Divi settings
- Choosing their default color palette and fonts
- And added their logo
- Started adding pages
- There were quite a lot of pages to bring over from the old site
- Basically all we did was copy and paste over the text
- As well as the blogs
Next, we created a custom home page
- Including a slider with several images
- We did this with the Divi page builder
- Then we added 3 sidebar buttons to go to different pages
- They really needed an events page, so we set this up with a plugin
- We used the very popular events plugin called “The Events Calendar”
- This plugin is really easy to set up and use
- It also has a paid version if you want to charge visitors an events fee.
To sum up
We re-designed the ICJ Australia website over a few training sessions. Kim and her staff could then happily go away and edit and update the pages and content when they needed to. Which was the main reason for moving it to WordPress. As well as to make the website more modern and mobile-friendly.
Check out the new site – https://www.icjaustralia.org/
Click the link if you need help with your Small Business Website.
Written by Jodi Allbon 2019.