How to install the Divi theme
- First of all, you download the zip file that Divi provides you once you purchase with Elegant Themes.
- Next, you log into your WordPress website
- And then go down to the ‘Appearance’ panel.
- Click on that (Appearance) and then click ‘Add New’ and then ‘Upload Theme’.
- We’re going to choose the file (mine is in my downloads). I’m going to click that, and then click ‘Open’ and then ‘Install’.
- That may take a couple of minutes to install.
- See screenshot below.
- OK, that’s done. So now we want to click ‘Activate’.
- And there it is. Divi is installed, activated and ready to go.
- The next thing I would do is go to the Divi panel.
- Then click on ‘Theme Options’ and go to ‘Updates’.
- Next, add in my username, and copy and paste my API key from my Elegant Themes account.
- Once you’ve done that, hit ‘Save Changes’.
- Now you’ll be able to update Divi and also be able to use the Divi templates.
- See screenshot below.
- The last thing I would do before I start building is go to this ‘Builders’ tab. See screenshot below.
- And then go to the ‘Advanced’ tab, and make sure the ‘Classic Editor’ is ticked on.
- Then save changes.
- If you click the ‘Classic Editor’, this is what you’ll see once you go into pages. See screenshot below.
- I’ll go into my homepage. You’ll see the ‘Classic Editor’ which I think it’s a lot easier to navigate.
- And then from there, you can start to use the Divi builder.
About the Divi Builder
- If you click on ‘Divi Builder’ (in the home page), you’ve got three options. See screenshot below.
- You can build the page from scratch,
- Choose a premade layout,
- Or you can clone an existing page.
- Obviously, we don’t have any existing pages, so this one we can’t use until we start building.
- So if you wanted to get started, you could choose a premade layout.
- You can see there’s 219 layouts that you can choose from.
- So that’s how you start designing but will go through that in another video.
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View Jodi’s credentials here.