Homebirth Access Sydney is a non-profit website that supports home births for pregnant women in Sydney. It is also a portal for midwives to use.
Jodie and her co-worker came to us wanting to re-design their website. Her current website was built in Joomla. It was not mobile friendly and they could not manage the site very easily because of the way it was built.
They attended the course – Build a WordPress Website.
We built the new website for Homebirth Access Sydney over 2 sessions of 3 hours and another 3 hours session to follow. We set it up offline so they could work on it over a few months. The ladies learnt a lot and mostly how to manage and update the site which is crucial when the business is non-profit.
The aim of the training was to make the site design more relevant to the needs of pregnant women and midwives. Midwives could come to the site to download information and use certain resources.
What we covered in the training
- Installed and set up the basics of WordPress.
- Jodie already had a theme is chosen which she bought from themeforest.net.
- We set up the main structure of the site including all the main pages.
- Added a navigation menu and logo.
- A blog – to add fresh content to the site.
- Shop – which we used the Woocommerce plugin.
- Membership – we set up a membership system so the midwives could log in to download resources.
- MailChimp – we help set up the MailChimp account
- And connected it to the site with a nice popup box.
- Events – we set up a special events plugin [app] so staff could load the events into the website.
- We set up Google analytics for the business, so they can track and monitor their visitors.
We added some “must have” plugins including;
- Security – to keep the site safe from hackers.
- Anti-spam – to ensure no bad comments.
- Contact form – to capture peoples details and respond.
The Homebirth Access Sydney website is a huge site with lots of content. It is a work in progress. Jodie and her staff are so happy to have the new website in WordPress so they can manage and update the site ongoing with no additional costs.
Check out Homebirth Access Sydney’s website.
Written by Jodi Allbon 2018
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View Jodi’s credentials here.