Over the years we have been using WordPress, we had tried and used many different WordPress themes. So we have put a collection of Free WordPress Themes for you.
Free WordPress Themes
Make sure you only get Free WordPress Themes from the wordpress.org directory. Go to this link – https://wordpress.org/themes/
We have used some free themes before that were not from wordpress.org and they had malicious code in them. So you really have to be careful with this.
You DO NOT need to download the theme from wordpress.org.
How do I choose the right theme?
The best way to choose a theme is to think of your target audience including:
- Will the theme appeal to my target market
- Is it easy to navigate
- Does the theme suit the websites goals
- Look at the layout to make sure it has all the necessary components to build your website
- Write a check list to guide you
Follow these steps to install a free WordPress theme
- Once you have search for a WordPress theme from wordpress.org
- Copy the name of the theme
- Go to your WordPress admin
- Click on Appearance > Themes > Add New (see image below)
- Paste the name into the search box
- Then install it and activate it
Here is a list of some Free WordPress Themes we like
All you need to do with these themes, is login to your WordPress website, go to Appearance > Themes, Add New and type in the name.
Then install and activate the theme you like. These are all free themes.
List of free themes
There are over 5000 free WordPress themes, so it may take a little research to find the best one to suit your needs.
Here are some tips on how to find the best free WordPress theme for you
- Check the theme has the right options for you to make
the changes you need for your website
- You will have to install the theme first
- Some themes will have their own Theme Options panel
- Otherwise all themes will have a Customise panel
- This is located under Appearance > Customise
- In this section you will see all the features available for you to edit
- If you can’t change certain sections of the theme, then you may have to search for another theme
- You may like to change font size, colours, layouts of pages and more
- You can use certain plugins to help you manage your new theme
- For e.g. Easy Google Fonts plugin (this may not work with all themes)
- This can allow you to change font type, size and more
- Page Builder plugin – can help you layout your pages
- There are many plugins as well in WordPress that can help you achieve what you need
The best advice we can offer about WordPress Themes
- Do some research
- Look in the free WordPress themes first
- Make sure you have a clear idea of what you want your website to look like
- Especially the home page
- Install several free themes
- Add some basic content
- Add your menu
- Try setting up your home page
- This will give you a good indication of the capabilities of the theme
- If its not suitable then try another theme
- If you can’t find a free theme, then a paid WordPress theme may be an alternative
- Paid themes are not very expensive and sometimes are a great solution as they often have many more options to edit than the free WordPress themes
- But if you are just starting out – FREE is great
WordPress Paid Themes we recommend
We recommend these Premium WordPress themes based on our experience with the developers of these themes.
Good luck and if you need any assistance with setting up your WordPress Theme please click here to contact us for more information. We can help you set up your theme.
Web Designer/Trainer – Adv Dip, Dip, TAE
Jodi is a qualified WordPress Trainer and Designer with an Advanced Diploma in Digital Media (2D And 3D Animation, Web Development) and a Diploma in Web Development. She has been a Website Trainer at the Northern Beaches Community College since 2008 and a WordPress Tutor for NSW TAFE since 2016.
Jodi has developed several web design courses including, a WordPress Beginners Course and Build your own WordPress Website for small businesses. These courses will teach you how to update and manage your website ongoing. Giving website owners more control over their website, thus helping to keep costs down.
View her credentials here.